I’ve written a number of articles and pieces for local and national publications, as well as on my personal blog CuriousKind. You can also find many of my older posts on the Library Garden blog and on the ALA Learning blog (now archived here and on the Internet Archive.)
- Examples to Emulate: Fighting a Challenge to the Collection With a Coalition of Advocates. Marketing Library Services Newsletter (MLS). Vol. 34 No. 2. March/April 2020.
- Restoring EBSCO: The Power of Coalition and Rapid Response. Chapter in Intellectual Freedom Stories from a Shifting Landscape. ALA Editions. 2020.
- Banned Book Week is a reminder that freedom to read is democracy’s fundamental right. (Commentary). Salt Lake Tribune, September 23, 2018.
- Why excluding LGBTQ exhibits doesn’t reflect Utah library values (Guest opinion, co-authored with Rebecca Cummings), Deseret News, August 19, 2018.
- “Building Support for your Library Budget: A Recipe for Success”. The Political Librarian, Volume. 3, Issue. 1, Article 5. December, 2017.
- “Influence is a Choice: Aligning Actions Toward Your Preferred Future”, chapter in Crucible Moments: Inspiring Library Leadership
- Meditation on Makerspaces, Missions, and Other Matters, CuriousKind blog, May 9, 2015.
- A Tipping Point for Mindfulness Meditation. Guest post for Tame the Web. April 29, 2013.
- 10 Steps to Promote Learning in Your Conference Presentation, ALA Learning, Feb 2, 2010. (Also published in The Whole Library Handbook 5: Current Data, Professional Advice, and Curiosa. edited by George M. Eberhart. ALA Publishing, 2013.
- The Power of Customer Comments in the NJLA Reference Section Newsletter, October, 2008.
- Finding Your Voice(s). ALA Learning, September 10, 2008.
- “Enhancing the Library as a Third Place”, Cover story in New Jersey Libraries Newsletter. Fall, 2006. (also republished in The One Person Library, V.25 #6, October, 2008 and in slightly different form at Library Garden.)
- “A Marketing Plan for Virtual Reference”, Cover Story in MLS: Marketing Library Services, vol. 17, no. 5, September/October 2003, pp. 1-3.
- “Managing a Statewide Virtual Reference Service: How QandANJ Works”, Featured story in Computers in Libraries, vol. 23, no. 4, April 2003, pp. 26-31.
- “Statewide Supplemental Reference Service: New Jersey’s Model for Backup Reference Service”, Featured story in Public Libraries, vol. 10, no. 4, July/August 2001, pp. 235-239.
Selected ALALearning Blog Posts
- Ten Steps to Promote Learning in Your Conference Presentation
- Learning and User Experience. Good UX=Good LX
- Five Tips for Successful Webinars
- Finding Your Voice(s)
- Nine Reflections on Co-Presenting
Selected Library Garden posts
- How To Ignite Your Passion
- Talking Good: Giving Effective Presentations
- Ten Questions to Ask Every New Employee
- Five Questions that Will Improve Your Effectiveness
- Convenience (a companion piece to The Human Touch)
- The Ten Principles of Improv and Why You Should Care
- What Story Are You Telling? (a guest post on Tame the Web)
- Get Your Head Out of Your OPAC
- Library as Place
Selected Posts on Customer Service