Inspiring and Engaging Keynotes, Workshops, and Staff Development Days
I am an experienced speaker and trainer, and have achieved the Toastmasters level of Competent Communicator (AKA “Competent Toastmaster” or CTM). I’ve served as President of a Toastmasters club for librarians and would be happy to talk to other librarians who are interested in setting up their own local chapter.
I can work with you to customize a staff day program or training that meets your objectives, whether that’s promoting teamwork, communication, shared vision, re-energizing, or all of the above! My programs are fun, inspirational, and designed for sustainable impact.
Popular topics for trainings, staff days, and keynotes include:
- Effective Advocacy for Libraries, Associations, Boards
- Going Fine Free
- Strategic Planning in a Deeply Weird World
- Applied improv for personal and team success
- Leadership and Influence
- Customer Experience Improvement
- Customer Journey Mapping
- Coaching — How to be Effective
- Effective Presentations
- FutureProofing ourselves and our organizations
- Super Supervising
- Managing Change
- Customized trainings
I’m be happy to work with you to tailor a presentation or training to your needs.I can also work with your organization to facilitate meetings, planning, and decision-making. You can see my presentations on Slideshare.
I am happy to discuss customizing a presentation to meet your needs. Let’s talk!
Presentations (See complete list of presentations)
- Making a Difference: Creating meaningful outcomes and engaging experiences for our patrons. Keynote for North Olympic Library System All Staff Training Day. Virtual. April 28, 2022.
- Effective Board Advocacy in a Polarized World: How to effectively respond to immediate challenges while building long term support for the Library. Board Training (virtual), Loveland Public Library. April 21, 2022.
- Strategies for Engaging Local and State Officials. Panelist. North Carolina Public Library Director’s Association General Meeting. April 21, 2022.
- Intellectual Freedom: A public library policy perspective for Friends and Foundation Boards. Virtual Board Training. March 16, 2022.
- Journey Mapping, Strategic Planning, Urban Libraries. Webinar. Research Institute for Public Libraries (RIPL) Office Hours. August 20, 2019
- Leading and Influencing in a Deeply Weird World. Keynote, Pacific Northwest Library Association (PNLA) Conference, Spokane, Washington. August 8, 2019.
- Staff Retreat, Colorado Western University. Co-facilitator. Developed and co-facilitated material on “Yes, And”, and Effective Communication. Gunnison, CO, July 29, 2019.
- How to Go Fine Free, SirsiDynix Connections Summit, Director’s Edition, June 11, 2019.
- Strategic Planning in a Deeply Weird World: The Flexible Roadmap Field Guide Approach. Webjunction Webinar, March 26, 2019.
- We Got This: Surviving and Thriving in a Deeply Weird World. Alaska Library Association Annual Conference. Juneau, Alaska, March 1, 2019.
- Using Directed Storytelling and Journey Mapping For Deep Engagement. International Association of Public Participation (IAP2) North American Conference. Victoria, BC. September 6, 2018.
- Research Institute for Public Libraries (RIPL). Facilitated exercises and small group discussions throughout the Institute. Atlanta, GA, July 29 – August 1, 2018.
- It’s People I Tell Ya! Developing a Human-Centered Approach to Inform Service Design and Strategic Planning. Research Institute for Public Libraries (RIPL). Atlanta, GA. August 1, 2018.
- Data Use for Strategic Planning, Management, and Communication with Stakeholders. Public libraries collect a lot of data: circulation numbers, program attendance, user satisfaction, etc. But what can you do with all these statistics? In this session, you will learn ways to go beyond simply collecting and reporting statistics to using them as integral components for strategic planning, management, and communicating with high-level stakeholders. During this session, you will hear from our speakers about their data use experiences, best practices, and lessons learned, and consider data use principles in the context of your own library. Research Institute for Public Libraries (RIPL). Atlanta, GA. July 31, 2018
- Staff Development is the New Strategic Planning. ALA Learning Round Table President’s Program. Presenter on panel discussion about staff development and the future of strategic planning. New Orleans, LA. June 23, 2018.
- Going Fine Free. Presentation to governing boards and directors of multiple libraries. Park City, UT. June 20, 2018.
- Building Support for your Library Budget: A Recipe for Success. An EveryLibrary, “Political Librarian” webinar. June 7, 2018. Presentation was based on article in the Political Librarian: Bromberg, Peter (2017) “Building Support for your Library Budget: A Recipe for Success,” The Political Librarian: Vol. 3 : Iss. 1 , Article 5.
Available at: https://openscholarship.wustl.edu/pollib/vol3/iss1/5. Video available here.
- F3: Fine Free Future. June 6, 2018. Panelist. The archive of the webinar can be found here with slides available here.
- Designing for Shifting Collections, Staff Roles. Moderator for panel discussion. Library Journal Design Institute, West Jordan, UT. April 27, 2018.
- The Wonderful World of Being a First-time Director. Public Library Association (PLA) Conference. Philadelphia, PA, March 22, 2018. Panel discussion on the experience of being a first time library director.
- F3: Fine Free Future. Symposium on the Future of Libraries, American Library Association Midwinter Conference. Denver, CO, February 10, 2018.
- Surviving and Thriving in a Deeply Weird World. United for Libraries Institute: Friends, Foundations, and Trustees, American Library Association Midwinter Conference. Denver, CO, February 9, 2018.
- Getting Into Action: Coaching for Optimal Performance. Interactive workshop for Colorado State Library and Colorado Library Consortium (CLIC). Denver, CO, February 8, 2018.
- Surviving and Thriving in a Deeply Weird World. Keynote for Utah Library Association Fall Workshop, September 29, 2017, Park City, UT.
- How to Activate Voters and Constituents for Funding Support, Association for Small and Rural Libraries (ARSL), Annual Conference, St. George, UT, September 6, 2017. Co-Presenter with John Chrastka, EveryLibrary Executive Director and Crystal Shimpf, Kixal Founder and Consultant. This workshop explores two frames for activating people: the librarian as a candidate and the library as a cause. EveryLibrary and Kixal teach you short, actionable messaging techniques to update perceptions, and provide insights for how to convene and empower stakeholders around your message. Walk away with a set of tools, tips, strategies, and exercises to help your library to get the funding you need.
- OLA Gold Library Leadership Institute, Oklahoma Library Association, Ardmore, OK, Nov 2-4, 2016. Co-designed and co-facilitated a leadership institute for 24 participants. The institute included seven weeks of online content and participation and three days of face-to-face experiential learning.
- Mindful Leadership Through Emotional Intelligence. Ohio Private Academic Libraries (OPAL) Conference, New Concord, OH. August 5, 2016.
- Yes, And… Using Improv to Develop 21st Century Leadership Skills. Ohio Private Academic Libraries (OPAL) Conference, New Concord, OH. August 5, 2016.
- Expect More Collaboratory Workshop. American Library Association Annual Conference. Engaging in community conversations to promote the brand and value of librarians. Orlando, Florida. June, 27, 2016.
- Designing and Facilitating Learning Experiences That Make a Difference: The Power of Active Experiential Learning. Preconference. American Library Association Annual Conference. Orlando, Florida. June 24, 2016.
- Emotionally Intelligent Leadership. Breakout session at the Utah State Manager’s Conference. Salt Lake City, UT. May 26, 2016.
- Navigating Crucible Moments: Lessons in Leadership. Presented on how to be an effective influencer. Online. April 27, 2016.
- Keller Public Library Staff Day. Presented on the Power of Storytelling and Customer Journey Mapping. Keller, TX, April 1, 2016.
- Strikethrough: Utah Library Association Failure Conference. Organizer and facilitator. Salt Lake City, February 19-20, 2016.
- Unlocking the 21st Century. Access Services Conference Keynote. Atlanta, GA, November 12, 2015.
- The Happiness Advantage. Interactive Presentation, Utah Library Association, Youth Services Round Table Fall Workshop, Ogden, Utah. September 18, 2015.
- Yes, And… Using improv to develop 21st century leadership and teamwork skills. Utah Library Association Annual Conference. St. George, Utah. May 14, 2015.
- Library Outreach & Collaboration: An effective model for community engagement. Featured preconference at Utah Library Association Annual Conference. St. George, Utah. May 13, 2015.
- Know Yourself, Grow Yourself, Be Yourself. Lead the Change Leadership Academy Opening Keynote Speaker. Online. April 22, 2015. Click for archived presentation.
- Expect More Speaker Series, Texas Library Association. Featured panelist along with R. David Lankes, Cheryl Gould, Lori Ayre, and Gretchen Freeman. April 14, 2014.
- Leading with Positive Emotional Intelligence, ILeadUSA Utah 2015, Salt Lake City, UT, March 24, 2015.
- Influence When You Have No Power or Authority, Webinar for Utah State Library, February 24, 2015.
- Idaho Commission for Libraries Staff Development Day, Facilitator, Boise, ID, January 15, 2015.
- Lead the Change: Community Engagement, Co-Facilitator, Salt Lake City, UT Oct 7, 2014.
- Lead the Change: Community Engagement, Guest Speaker, Denver, Colorado. August 28, 2014.
- Emotionally Intelligent Influence: Mindful Choices, Meaningful Results, Virtual Keynote webinar for the New Jersey Library Association. April 10, 2014.
- If You Can Make it Here, Keynote, Mount Laurel Library Staff Day, Mount Laurel, NJ, November 14, 2013.
- OLA Gold Library Leadership Institute, Oklahoma Library Association, Ardmore, OK, Nov 6-8, 2013. Co-designed and co-facilitated a leadership institute for 24 participants. The institute included six weeks of online content and participation and three days of face-to-face experiential learning.
- Purposeful Influence: Keynote at 5th Annual Connecticut Leadership Institute, Connecticut Library Association, Hartford, CT, August 9, 2013.
- Conversations on Leadership. Conversation Starter at the American Library Association Conference, Chicago, IL, June 30, 2013.
- Lead the Change, Guest Speaker, Philadelphia, PA, May 23, 2013.
- The Very Heart of It: The timeless, nourishing value of libraries. Keynote at Urban Libraries Unite (ULU) Conference. Brooklyn, NY, April 5, 2013.
- Influence When You Have No Power or Authority. Keynote at University of Rhode Island GSLIS Conference. Kingston, Rhode Island, March 23, 2013.
- FrameChanges: How to Be Effective. Keynote at Indiana Federation of Libraries Annual Conference. Indianapolis, IN, November 14, 2012.
- The Future of Libraries. Keynote at the Gloucester County Library Staff Development Day. Maplewood, NJ. October 5, 2012.
- Nurturing Leadership at the Library. Keynote at the Library Management Institute (LMI) Summer Conference. Fort Washington, PA, July, 9, 2012.
- Strategic Plan Visioning Facilitation. Designed and led a visioning activity for staff and stakeholders of Maplewood Memorial Library to begin their strategic planning process. Maplewood, NJ. May 30, 2012.
- The Future of Libraries. Keynote at the Maplewood Memorial Staff Development Day. Maplewood, NJ. May 30, 2012.
- Get in the Loop: Customer Service Round Table. Co-designed and facilitated customer service workshop for the Princeton Merchant’s Association. May 22, 2012.
- Now what? 12 steps to thriving in a different world. Public Library Association Conference, March 15, 2012, Philadelphia, PA. Co-presentation with Karen Hyman.
- The Future of Virtual Reference. Rutgers University School of Information Colloquium, December 7, 2011.
- The Future of Libraries. Keynote at the Somerset County Library Staff Development Day Keynote. Bridgewater, NJ, Nov 8, 2011.
- Library Leadership v Library Management. Keynote for Leadership and Management Section Luncheon, New York Library Association (NYLA) Conference, November 4, 2011.
- Profiles in Leadership. Moderator. NYLA Conference, November 4, 2011.
- Pulling Back the Curtain on Virtual Reference: Moderator, ALA Annual Conference, New Orleans, LA, June 27, 2011
- ALA Emerging Leaders. Facilitator. . ALA Annual Conference, New Orleans, LA. June, 2011.
- ALA Emerging Leaders. Facilitator. ALA Midwinter Conference, San Diego, CA. January 7, 2011.
- TEDx and Libraries: A Partnership for Community Engagement. Pennsylvania Library Association Conference, Lancaster, PA, October 27, 2010.
- All Together Now. Keynote at the NJLA Adult Services Forum: Keynote. Manalapan, NJ, October 18, 2010
- Creating Engaging Customer Experiences. Keynote, ACPL Library Camp. Fort Wayne, Indiana, September 23, 2010.
- Personal Effectiveness. ACPL Library Camp. Fort Wayne, Indiana, September 23, 2010.
- RUSA President’s Program: For the Love of Reference. ALA Annual Conference, Washington DC, June 28, 2010. (video coming soon–I hope).
- ALA Emerging Leaders: Facilitator. ALA Annual Conference, Washington DC, June 25, 2010.
- Great Teen Spaces You Could Have Right Now: Moderator: NJLA Conference program, Long Branch, NJ, April 27, 2010.
- What’s Your Style? 9 Paths to Personal and Professional Development: Full day preconference on the Enneagram for Maryland Library Association, Ocean City, Maryland, April 21, 2010.
- Mail It? It’s In the Bag: Books and More, Netflix Style: Moderator. Gloucester County Library, Gibbstown, NJ, March 16, 2010.
- Keynote Address: Experience the Future: Mount Laurel Library and Willingboro Public Library joint staff day. Mount Laurel Library, Nov 11, 2009.
- Strategic Direction Facilitation: Facilitated discussion between management teams of Mount Laurel and Willingboro libraries on strategic directions for the future. Mount Laurel Library, Nov 11, 2009.
- Working Together Effectively: Full day workshop on Team Building and Effective Meetings for Super Library Supervisors, Series II. Old Bridge Public Library, October 29, 2009.
- Presentation Tips. ALA Conference. Presentation at Membership Pavilion on behalf of the Learning Round Table. Chicago, IL, July 13, 2009.
- Moving into Action. Facilitation for the ALA Emerging Leaders Salon. Chicago, IL, July 11, 2009.
- Assessing the Emerging Leaders Project Experience. Facilitation for the ALA Emerging Leaders Program. Chicago, IL, July 10, 2009.
- Understanding Change. Burlington County Library, June 18, 2009.
- What do a leaky roof, a greasy spoon, a bear sighting, and a man with a tortoise in his pants all have in common? Watch this lightening talk and find out... (AKA “Tips for Effective Presentations”). Pres4lib Presentation Camp, June 12, 2009, Princeton Public Library. Slides and Video.
- Listen to Maurice Coleman’s comments on my talk during his podcast, “T is for Training”
- Leading Change. A webinar for Colorado Association of Libraries Leadership Institute, May 21, 2009.
- Mail It? It’s in the Bag! Books and More, Netflix Style. Moderated panel discussion of SJRLC’s “Books by Mail” pilot project. NJLA Conference, April 28, 2009.
- The Value of Leadership, the Leadership of Value. Remaining relevant in times of change. Alice Rankin Distinguished Lecture for NJSLA, April 23, 2009. (Click here for reviews of this talk.)
- The Value of Leadership, the Leadership of Value. Remaining relevant in times of change for NJLA Emerging Leaders. April 20, 2009.
- How to be Effective. Presentation for New Jersey Train the Trainer. on March 18, 2009.
- Working Together Effectively: Full day workshop co-developed and presented as part of the Super Library Supervisor Series. Rahway Public Library, September 18, 2008.
- Introduction to the Enneagram: A brief introduction to the Enneagram personality theory, given to the SJRLC Board, September, 11, 2008.
- Working Together Virtually: ALA Annual Conference. A presentation to the ALA Emerging Leaders on how to effectively work as a virtual team. June 27, 2009.
- Change Management. Guest Lecture for Rutgers University SCILS 17: 610: 570 Managing Libraries and Information Centers, April 2, 2008. | slides upon request |
- Engage your users, and your librarians, too!, PLA Conference (QuestionPoint Panel) , March 28, 2008.
Complete list of presentations